Sunday, January 31, 2010

Enter the Bloat

So in my last post about this massive terror of a Thrall I posted some pics where I had sculpted in some holes and deficiencies when the model was put together.

I am really happy with the end result, I am going to post a bunch of pics of the finished Bloat Thrall and some zoomed in pics of the areas that I had specifically fixed with the Mighty Putty. I think that I upped my game in the highlighting, shading and overall detail category for this guy. Not to mention it went pretty quickly this time. Overall I really enjoyed painting this one and I have a feeling that is because I able to get the level of detail to where I really like it.

Again the camera is likely to make it look like a piece of crap but oh looks really good in its actual miniature version.

I am guessing that my next project will be the 2 Pistol Wraiths that I have...Yeah no more Thralls for a while!!!

Stay tuned...

Well my apologies...the zoomed in shots of the sculpted areas are all out of focus GRRR I put the best one was also the most major repair because I had to sculpt a fat roll over a Tube and Fitting that didn't match up at all. I am too lazy to get more pictures plus I am hungry and supper is maybe tomorrow I will put in a new post with better zoomed in shots.

Sunday, January 24, 2010

Holy Water Retention!!!

Now this is one monster that put on waaaay too much weight over the holidays!!!

This is going to be a brief post, I just wanted to capture some shots of my latest model project.

So let me introduce the Bloat Thrall...yes continuing the Thrall theme!! This was one of the first models I got. After doing some research it isn't really the best of units from a competitive point of view but probably a lot of fun to throw into the casual games. However because he probably won't get used all the time, and basically because I have way cooler models coming up, I decide to experiment on this guy as well.

He is this huge bloated zombie like Thrall...and the model is pretty big in comparison to the others as well. One of the problems with this model is that a lot of the joins had huge gaps. So the other day I glued the 2 parts of his upper body together and was not happy with those major gaps (in one instance a hose didn't even join up to the hose attachment on the other side which looked completely shitty).

So today, anxious to move on from the Biles, I used some Mighty Putty to fill in those gaps and sculpt some "bloat rolls" over that hose that did not match up to the coupling. Again, this is my first time doing this so not sure how the finished product is going to look...but hey why not?

Normally gamers would use green stuff or some other clay like epoxy that is specifically marketed to miniatures to do this kind of work. I bought Mighty Putty because it is way cheaper and I am part Scots...need I say more? I would say the only complaint I have with the Mighty Putty is that it sets really fast, you literally have something like 5 minutes before it is too hard to shape. I would guess that is because its main application is actually bonding things as opposed to filling in holes or modeling. On the plus side because it hardens so fast you are ready to go that much sooner...with a little planning and only kneading together small amounts I had no problem accomplishing my goals with minimal wastage.

I have never used the other products so can't really given an honest comparison...maybe in the near future I will get some and post a comparison of both products...and as it turns out I lied, this isn't a short post at all...haha is the fat little bugger...


Zen and the Art of Highlights/Shading - The Conclusion

Well it certainly has been ages since this blog was updated. I discovered that painting an entire unit of miniatures can be very monotonous, repetitive and boring. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed doing the different highlights and details, plus moving through the different colours and shades but after doing the same bit 7 or 8 times it was enough already....and this is a small unit in comparison to what some other gamers do...crikey!!

So the urge to just get these little beasties done plus the holidays cut down on my posting. However it is the new year after all and I decided to pick up the brushes anew...and boy and am I glad I did. I just today finished my unit of Bile Thralls...they are painted (but not based, like my other models) as much as they are going to be and battle ready.

When you see the pics bear in mind that there are probably details that I could have done more of or better but basically I am sick of painting them...and this is my first time doing this level of detail and color mixing/blending...I am really really pleased with the end result. Again the 10 Megapixel camera is great at highlighting deficiencies.. ...

Well without further blathering here is my battle ready Bile if I could only get around to basing them ...